One of the greatest fast bowlers in cricket history visited Howell Oval on Tuesday October 9 to launch a breast cancer fundraising campaign initiated by our own young gun, Brent Williams.
The great Glenn McGrath made the trek out west to launch "Brent's blast against breast cancer" which has been established to raise funds for the McGrath Foundation.
A friend of the Williams family is currently battling breast cancer, which inspired 'Squirt' to take action.
"I have seen how debilitating breast cancer can be and I approached the Penrith committee about raising some funds to help the McGrath Foundation this summer,” Brent said.
“In a matter of a few weeks, we came up with a concept that would see the Penrith club donate to the McGrath Foundation $1 per run that I score this season, and from there, appeal to the local business community to do the same.
“We decided that the best way to get the message out was by asking Glenn McGrath to personally launch the fundraising campaign, and I am delighted that he made the effort to travel to Howell Oval for a media launch. He's a great bloke.
"The local press were fantastic and I have to thank them for their support. I understand that it will receive some pretty prominent coverage this week so hopefully a few businesses will kick in and we can raise a nice amount of cash.
"I just need to start getting a few runs!!"
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- The Penrith Club has pledged a donation of $1 per run Brent scores to the McGrath Foundation.
- We are seeking local businesses to do the same.
- Interested parties should contact the club via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or see President Greg Gavin.
- One-off donations can also be made via the McGrath Foundation website http://mcgrathfoundation.gofundraise.com.au/page/brentsblast
- Regular updates on Brent's tally will be uploaded to the website and on social media.
- We are aiming to raise upwards of $5000 this summer.